of marginal oper. interest [bgp reflecting actual traffic flow (or not)]

  • From: k claffy
  • Date: Tue Mar 18 00:33:00 2003

sent to e2e hoping thread pursued on only
one mailing list but wasn't sure which
one would hate it more. fwiw.

critical feedback/corrections/thoughts welcome

----- Forwarded message from k claffy <[email protected]> -----

  Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 21:26:30 -0800
  From: k claffy <[email protected]>
  Subject: bgp reflecting actual traffic flow (or not)
  To: [email protected]
  Cc: Rajesh Talpade <[email protected]>

  8 months may be my record for email latency
  impressive huh

  On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 09:27:50PM -0400, Rajesh Talpade wrote:
    > kc wrote:
    > would recommend against assumptions of either symmetric paths
    > or bgp reflecting actual traffic flow
    > unless you're writing science fiction

    always wondered about what new career i could launch into! :-)

    seriously, what's a good reference for your second point about bgp not
    reflecting actual traffic flow?

  preliminary tech report finally up, have not wanted
  to publish till we had more complete results
  but that might not be in community's best interest so here:
  http://www.caida.org/outreach/papers/2003/ASP/
  (also linked from 'what's new' on caida.org)

  remark reckon it's not going to surprise any operators,
  and it's still only a piece of the interdomain alchemistry,

  but there we bgp

----- End forwarded message -----