[Fwd: FC: Email a RoadRunner address, get scanned by their securitysystem]

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Fri Mar 14 23:15:16 2003

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: FC: Email a RoadRunner address, get scanned by their securitysystem
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:25:46 -0500
From: Declan McCullagh <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]

---

Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:22:24 -0500
Subject: RoadRunner Automated Portscans
From: Gunnar Hellekson <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]

After sending an email to a friend at a RoadRunner address, I see this in
my web access log:

24.30.199.228 - - [13/Mar/2003:15:11:25 -0500] "CONNECT security.rr.com:25
HTTP/1.0" 404 535 "" ""

Basically, RoadRunner tried to spam themselves using my server.  I mailed
[email protected] about this, and received a canned response, enclosed.  It's a
humble response, but woefully inadequate.  Have anti-spam measures come to
this?  This seems like an ill-considered compromise between privacy and
anti-spam efforts.  A blunt instrument that betrays less-than-careful
thinking.  The opt-out option, which was revealed only after my complaint,
is even more obnoxious.

Under their logic, I feel entitled to poke and prod their customers, just
to make sure they don't spam me.  Is that fair?  I promise to provide an
opt-out if anyone complains.

I'm curious whether this preemptive measure is effective at all.

-Gunnar