Re: Getting a Host Record

  • From: Will Yardley
  • Date: Wed Mar 12 20:33:07 2003

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 05:25:15PM -0800, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> I'm feeling really dumb asking this, but how does one get host info
> out of Network Solutions WHOIS these days?
>
> I want to look up the contact info on a host. I can get the IP from
> the hostname and vice-versa along with the registrar, but I can't
> figure out how to get the full record. "Nameserver" queries don't seem
> to work on whois.networksolutions.com anymore, and the records for
> zones that I know use the server no longer include the NIC handle for
> the nameservers.

I usually use 'whois.crsnic.net':

jazz% whois -h whois.crsnic.net ns1.dreamhost.com

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

   Server Name: NS1.DREAMHOST.COM
   IP Address: 66.33.206.206
   Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
   Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com

What's odd is that the Network Solutions whois server doesn't give out
this information anymore, even for domains registered through NetSol /
Verisign.

jazz% whois -h whois.networksolutions.com "HOST ns1.dreamhost.com"
[snip disclaimer]

No match for host "NS1.DREAMHOST.COM".

This format used to work.

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."