Re: Route Supression Problem

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Wed Mar 12 12:58:51 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Peter E. Fry wrote:

> > You are right, it is depressing. However, I don't see how the penalty
> > multiplication could happen here, you need a few hops in between for
> > that.

>   Ah, but this is the Internet.  Jack's two upstreams likely have direct
> or indirect links between them where they will also receive the route
> updates in question.

Dampening is done on the eBGP router where the route enters the AS, and,
unless I'm mistaken, per route/path and not per prefix. So the flapping
that ISP A sees from ISP B is a completely seperate thing from the
flapping that ISP A sees from its customer's customer as far as the
dampening algorithm is concerned.

>   Should we change the subject (back) to "BGP to doom us all"?

For all the criticism that BGP is subjected to, I find it curious that
nobody has proposed a replacement protocol (that I'm aware of).