Re: Route Supression Problem

  • From: Adam Rothschild
  • Date: Wed Mar 12 12:07:20 2003

On 2003-03-12-09:01:23, [email protected] wrote:
> Still using MRTG? Have you read this?
> http://www.mit.edu/~rbeverly/papers/rtg-lisa02.pdf
> Or this? http://rtg.sourceforge.net/docs/rtgfaq.html

> [...]

> Seriously, how much do you risk losing over one incident like this
> where you don't have the data to show your customer exactly what
> happened and give them the impression that you are an amazing TCP/IP
> guru? MRTG is utterly obsolete; replace it!

Ok, let's call a spade a spade.  I've been an "early adopter" of RTG,
and am using it for traffic graphing in a production environment (in
conjunction with a more tested Cricket/RRD setup, for redundancy and
data verification).  I think it's a nifty tool, with great potential,
a clueful and responsive maintainer, and a loyal user base continually
developing and contributing cool stuff.  However, like any software in
its infancy, RTG is far from perfect.

I find it unfair to label MRTG as "utterly obsolete," nor to speak of
RTG -- or any one tool -- as a drop-in replacement appropriate for all
environments.  Sure it doesn't scale particularly well, but there's a
certain appeal to its simplicity and versatility, which I consider a
key to its continued usage in the face of more robust alternatives.

-a