Re: 69/8...this sucks

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Tue Mar 11 21:46:32 2003

From: "Andy Dills"

> Are you ok with a solution of patiently waiting for some sort of critical
> mass to occur with each new /8 that gets allocated? Sooner or later,
> enough content will be in 69/8 (and other commonly filtered /8s) that
> people will be forced to fix their filters. But is that the only way?
>
> And would your answer change if you were one of the first networks to be
> assigned space in the new range?

I might point out that it can even be worse. The IP addressing I was using
belonged to a provider that I'd used for many, many years. They were pulling
out and sending customers elsewhere, so I bit the bullet and pulled up the
numbers to get my first ARIN assigned addresses. So now I have a /18 that
will be at 90% utilization by the end of the month. I can't delay, as I
can't request more IP addresses until I release the old networks back to the
provider. In essence, I was just forced to screw all my customers. At the
next meeting, might someone kindly mention to ARIN that "initial" requests,
especially renumbers, should not be issued space that is less than a year
off the bogon list?

More than anything, this is what has pissed me off. After the renumber, I'll
only have 69/8 space, which means all critical services such as my mail,
dns, and web servers will all be affected. I hear it now. "I didn't receive
mail from so and so!" I check the logs and don't see an established
connection to my server. So, is the problem that the far mail server lost
the message, the user emailed the wrong place, or my new IP addresses
weren't accessible by the far mail server or the dns servers that it uses?
In addition, sometimes the problem is that my user just needs to put the
crack pipe down. I just don't feel comfortable with this last one anymore,
though. I can't be sure it's the crack. It could be the IPs. How do I know?

-Jack