Put part of Google on 69/8 (was Re: 69/8...this sucks)

  • From: JC Dill
  • Date: Tue Mar 11 19:43:17 2003

Charles Sprickman wrote:

Seriously though, somewhere there is a popular site that is non-profit in
nature that would trade say a month of free access for the hassle of being
put into a widely-blocked block.
The suggestion of putting Yahoo or Google on a 69/8 IP led me to this idea:

Google could put their *beta* sites on a 69/8 IP, without causing them (Google) much Internet reachability/connectivity harm, and benefiting the Internet at large considerably.

Set up a page (hopefully linked from www.google.com) that lists all of Google's present beta sites. On this page, inform the user that the beta sites are hosted on "newly allocated IP addresses" and that if the said user can't reach the beta sites, it most likely means that their ISP/Company is improperly filtering these newly valid IP addresses, Instruct these affected users to contact their IPS's support desk or their company's IS department and alert them that they need to update their IP filter set to avoid filtering newly released and valid IPs. Then also link to a site such as <http://www.cymru.com/Bogons/> which explains bogon filters, shows how to find the latest lists, and educates the filter-clueless on how to subscribe to appropriate announcement lists to become aware of updates/changes in what IPs can be safely filtered. Google could also explain that they are doing this to help the Internet community fix this problem, and perhaps explain why it is a problem. They would get tons of good press which would help advertise Google and their beta projects.

Froogle is a very kewl site that gets better by the day (thanks guys, I use it all the time!), and I bet it also gets more traffic by the day. This would be a good way for Google to get free publicity for Froogle and other beta sites, and get big Internet community "good guy" points for helping fix the 69/8 bogon filter problem, without outright breaking the highly popular Google websearch site itself.

Is there anyone from Google lurking here on nanog?

jc

(Googling on: google beta, I discovered that Google itself went beta in February of 1999, just 4 years ago. My, how time flies!)