Re: 923Mbits/s across the ocean

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Tue Mar 11 13:37:42 2003

Thus spake "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <[email protected]>
> This is the part about TCP that I've never understood: why does it
> send large numbers of packets back-to-back? This is almost never a
> good idea.

Because until you congest the network to the point of dropping packets, a
host has no idea how much bw is actually available.  Exponential rate
growith finds this value very quickly.

> Hm, I don't see this happening to a usable degree as TCP has no
> concept of records. You really want to use fixed size chunks of
> information here rather than pretending everything's a stream.

A record-oriented, reliable transport would make many protocols much easier
to implement.  Too bad SCTP hasn't seen wider use.