Re: scope of the 69/8 problem

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Tue Mar 11 13:25:17 2003

Thus spake "E.B. Dreger" <[email protected]>
> If the roots and gTLDs are truly unwilling to help, and a handful
> of entities can't cooperate, I have serious concerns why they
> have been handed responsibility for such a critical piece of
> infrastructure.  I'd expect "it's too hard to be a good netizen"
> whining on other lists... but NANOG?  Roots and TLDs?
>
> Perhaps this is an omen of the Internet yet to come.  Oh joy.

Come on, you're asking the root and/or TLD operators to renumber their
servers -- not a trivial task -- every few months to intentionally disable
their own service for what amounts to an academic experience.

These folks are in the business of running a critical system that requires
100% uptime for hundreds of millions of users, and they do a damned good
job.  Let them do it in peace, and find some other "must have" service (like
porn) to put in 69/8.