Re: Question concerning authoritative bodies.

  • From: Ron da Silva
  • Date: Tue Mar 11 10:49:39 2003

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 02:59:05PM -0500, [email protected] wrote:

> I suspect AOL and Earthlink run their own DNSBLs primarily for the second
> reason.  How would you convince them to trust and give up control to a
> central authority?
>
> Even if IANA were to create or bless some existing DNSBL and decree that
> all IP address holders will submit to testing or have their space revoked
> (yeah, that'll happen) there would still be those who weren't happy with
> the central DNSBL thus creating demand for additional ones.

Hmm...I would argue that every operator needs to run their own DNSBL.
Some operators will simply mirror a central authority, others will
ignore some or all of the data in the central authority and the simple
case for some operators is to have an empty set.

It would be very difficult to convince any operator to give up control
of defining their own DNSBL (or even not having one at all).

-ron