Re: 69/8...this sucks

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Tue Mar 11 05:58:56 2003

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Owen DeLong wrote:

> It seems to me that it would be relatively simple to solve this problem by
> doing the following:
>
> 1.	ICANN (or an ICANN designee, such as ARIN) shall issue an ASN range
> 	of 20 ASNs to be used as BOGON-ORIGINATE.

Why not just one or private/reserved?

> 2.	Each RIR should operate one or more routers with an open peering
> 	policy which will perform the following functions:
>
> 	A.	Advertise all unissued space allocated to the RIR as
> 		originating from an ASN allocated to <RIR>-BOGON.
>
> 	B.	Peer with the corresponding routers at each of the other
> 		RIRs and accept and readvertise their BOGON list through
> 		BGP.
>
> 	C.	Provide a full BOGON feed to any router that chooses to
> 		peer, but not accept any routes or non-BGP traffic from
> 		those routers.

Of course, configure it wrong and you would end up sending all the junk that you
would have null routed to your RIR. Sounds messy.

Whats more I can see potential whenever we start creating these kind of self
propagating blackholes for hackers to introduce genuine address blocks to create
a DDoS.

> 3.	Any provider which wishes to filter BOGONs could peer with the
> 	closest one or two of these and set up route maps that modify
> 	the next-hop for all BOGONs to be an address which is statically
> 	routed to NULL0 on each of their routers.

How many ebgp sessions do the RIRs need to maintain?? A lot.. and the
maintenance would be a nightmare. Dont think this will work purely because of
that overhead you create!!

Steve

> Apologies if this has been discussed before, but, it seems to me that this
> is the easiest way to make the data readily available to the community
> directly from the maintainers of the databases in a fashion which is
> automatically up to date.

There are other ways that dont use BGP peering to create lists that are more
suitable

Steve