RE: 69/8...this sucks

  • From: Haesu
  • Date: Mon Mar 10 22:46:37 2003

> That's a non-solution that will never happen.  How many networks are going
> to trust joe somebody to inject null routes into their backbone?  Will
> UUNet/Sprint/C&W/Level3/etc. trust me or Rob to tell them what's a bogon
> and what's not?  I really doubt it.  They might have an easier time
> trusting their local RIR, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Well... I am pretty sure Tier1 backbones are up-to-date on the bogon
filters :-)

As we've already discussed, it's really the smaller networks with outdated
bogons or with admins who don't know what they are doing..

> Several people pointed that out earlier.  Botched / outdated firewall
> configs may be a bigger problem than BGP filters.  For a glimpse at why,
> see
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=69.0.0.0%2F8&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

Yup..

> I know some writers watch nanog for potential stories.  Wake up guys, this
> should be one...if not for the news value "ARIN gives out unusable IPs,
> future of the Net in question", then at least for the public service value
> of getting the word out that bogon filters need to be maintained and kept
> up to date or they do more harm than good.

No kidding..

I think we are just going around the circle/preaching to the choir on the
same topic here.. Is this like what... 3rd time we are discussing
this whole 69/8 issue :-D? Really, someone needs to get out this 69/8
issue on the press.. Just a thought.. heh

-hc