Move all 9-1-1 to 8-5-5

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Mar 10 19:53:29 2003

Whenever the North American Numbering Planning Administration releases a
new toll-free prefix (e.g. 1-800, 1-888, 1-877, 1-866) there is always a
lengthy delay for individuals operating some telephone switches to update
their routing tables.  Its common to be in hotels, and find the hotel PBX
doesn't recognize a recent toll-free prefix.

So to "fix" this problem, why don't we move all 9-1-1 numbers to the new
toll-free prefix, which will break stuff for people who don't update their
PBX's promptly.  When they find out they can't report a fire in the hotel
because their PBX is blocking the new prefix, then they'll fix the PBX.

Let's get real, no one is going to break any "critical" resource just for
the purpose of making people fix their systems.

Rob's bogon lists are good, but unless you have the processes in place to
keep it update to date (or hire an consulting firm to do it for you), its
about as useful as putting a list of "invalid" phone numbers in your PBX.
The lists change all the time, and unless you are a full-time LERG expert,
it will probably get quickly out of date.

Of course, we can always use LDAP to keep all the PBX's updated.