RE: 69/8...this sucks

  • From: Frank Scalzo
  • Date: Mon Mar 10 17:44:38 2003

Do you really think that people who don't have enough clue to update
their filters are going to be able to figure out why they can't reach
content in 69/8?

Moving all root-servers WOULD fix the problem. Although I doubt anyone
is really going to be willing to make the news by causing that much of
an outage.

What we can REALISTICALLY accomplish is to lean on the people who
publish books/web pages/templates/etc. to include big scary warnings
about using bogon filters and outline WHY they should be careful. I bet
for example we could get Rob Thomas to update his templates to include
scarier warnings like don't do this unless you intend to keep current on
new allocations if you don't know what that means skip this section (I
noticed there is something in the IOS template that says be "VERY"
careful). The warnings should be explicit, and scream don't do this
unless you understand it. Personally I have always thought overzealous
bogon filtering can be dangerous in the wrong hands and thus avoided it.
I don't even trust myself to keep current let alone someone who may pick
up a generic firewall book off the shelf and then think they are an
expert.