Re: 69/8...this sucks

  • From: Doug Barton
  • Date: Mon Mar 10 16:05:50 2003

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, E.B. Dreger wrote:

> JSW> Date: 10 Mar 2003 15:23:52 -0500
> JSW> From: Jeff S Wheeler
>

> JSW> I repeat my suggestion that a number of DNS root-servers or
> JSW> gtld-servers be renumbered into 69/8 space.  If the DNS
> JSW> "breaks" for these neglected networks, I suspect they will
> JSW> quickly get enough clue to fix their ACLs.
> JSW>
> JSW> Add Eddy's suggestion that the addresses all end in .0 or
> JSW> .255 and you have a fine machine for cleaning up a few old,
> JSW> irritating problems.
>
> I suggest a rotation like so:
>
> 	Jan-Apr: 69.w.w.0
> 	Apr-Jul: 69.x.x.255
> 	Jul-Oct: 70.y.y.0
> 	Oct-Jan: 70.z.z.255

This wouldn't actually accomplish what you're trying to do. The resolvers
that couldn't reach those root and/or TLD servers that are behind the
'broken' networks would simply shift their traffic to the ones that they
could reach. The only thing you'd accomplish by this is an increased load
on the root/TLD servers that are in their normal locations.

Doug

--

    If it's moving, encrypt it. If it's not moving, encrypt
        it till it moves, then encrypt it some more.