Re: UK ISPs not cooperating with law enforcement

  • From: Roland Perry
  • Date: Mon Mar 10 09:13:15 2003

In message <[email protected]>, Peter
Galbavy <[email protected]> writes

>Policy was, many years ago, when we were 'all' at Demon that we would
>*never* hand out any logs until there was a court order. Period. At that
>point we would roll over and stick our paws in the air... subtle hints from
>the police and others were met with this policy.

Yes, the current situation in the UK is that there are (for hacking
enquiries, but not financial matters) no police "powers" other than a
court order, but many CSPs (voice telcos especially) are sympathetic to
special pleading from the police that revealing information about their
customers is justified if it's the only way progress a criminal
investigation.

http://www.linx.net/misc/dpa28-3form.html

The recent issue with Scotland Yard might suggest that this pleading had
been unsuccessful, but they didn't then go and get a court order (for
whatever reason).

>Of course, the RIP Act brings big brother truly to life now. If only the
>civil service would stop infighting long
>enough to implement it ;-)

It was the Minister (Blunkett) who stopped the implementation, due to
police politics... For once, the civil servants were innocent.
--
             Roland Perry | tel: +44 20 7645 3505 | [email protected]
Director of Public Policy | fax: +44 20 7645 3529 | http://www.linx.net