Re: UK ISPs not cooperating with law enforcement

  • From: Peter Galbavy
  • Date: Mon Mar 10 04:21:10 2003

> The issue at the core is whether ISPs should just roll over and cough up
> anything to law enforcement, any time, without valid warrants.

I am sure that such a cosmopolitan bunch as NANOG will also understand that
EU Data Protection laws give people quite a big comeback when they find
someone has not treated their personal information in the way they are
entitled to expect. While the US may be the litigous society in truth, we
are catching up quite fast here on this front...

Policy was, many years ago, when we were 'all' at Demon that we would
*never* hand out any logs until there was a court order. Period. At that
point we would roll over and stick our paws in the air... subtle hints from
the police and others were met with this policy.

Of course, the RIP Act brings big brother truly to life now. If only the
civil service would stop infighting long
enough to implement it ;-)

Peter