Re: Question concerning authoritative bodies.

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Sun Mar 09 19:15:54 2003

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, E.B. Dreger wrote:

> > In AOL's case, they couldn't even tell us why our mail was
> > being rejected or our connections to their MX's blocked and I
> > had to wait a week for their postmaster dept. to get to my
> > ticket and return my call to fill me in on what was going on.
>
> Ewwww.  Much better to put a semi-descriptive code in the 5.x.x
> and give a contact phone number and/or off-net email box.

There was a multiline message (when our connections weren't just refused
or immediately closed).

550-The information presently available to AOL indicates that your server
550-is being used to transmit unsolicited bulk e-mail to AOL. Based on AOL's
550-Unsolicited Bulk E-mail policy at http://www.aol.com/info/bulkemail.html
550-AOL cannot accept further e-mail transactions from your server or your
550-domain.  Please have your ISP/ASP contact AOL to resolve the issue at
550 703.265.4670.

Trouble was, the people at 703.265.4670 can't help you.  They just take
your name, number, and some other basic info, and open a ticket that the
postmaster group will "get to eventually".

On the affected system, I ended up changing the source IP for talking to
AOL's servers.

> True.  It cracks me up when someone complains about being on
> Selwerd XBL.

xbl.selwerd.cx might be useful for a few points in a spamassassin setup.
I don't use it.

[email protected] implied that some of the other DNSBLs include selwerd.  I'm
not aware of any, but I'm sure there are lots of DNSBLs I've never heard
of and know nothing about.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |