Re: 923Mbits/s across the ocean

  • From: David G. Andersen
  • Date: Sat Mar 08 15:45:13 2003

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 03:29:56PM -0500, [email protected] quacked:

> High speeds are not important. High speeds at a *reasonable* cost are
> important. What you are describing is a high speed at an *unreasonable*
> cost.

To paraphrase many a california sufer, "dude, chill out."

The bleeding edge of performance in computers and networks is always
stupidly expensive.  But once you've achieved it, the things you
did to get there start to percolate back into the consumer stream,
and within a few years, the previous bleeding edge is available
in the current O(cheap) hardware.

A cisco 7000 used to provide the latest and greatest performance
in its day, for a rather considerable cost.  Today, you can get a
box from Juniper for the same price you paid for your 7000 that
provides a few orders of magnitude more performance.

But to get there, you have to be willing to see what happens when
you push the envelope.  That's the point of the LSR, and a lot of
other research efforts.

  -Dave

--
work: [email protected]                          me:  [email protected]
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/