Re: 923 Mbps across the Ocean ...

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Sat Mar 08 13:58:23 2003

Thus spake "Hank Nussbacher" <[email protected]>
> At 03:53 PM 07-03-03 -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> >Production commercial networks need not apply, 'lest someone
> >realize that they blow away these speed records on a regular basis.
>
> Please document it so as to shame these I2 networks.  Somehow, I
> doubt you will be able to.

Internet/2 is not interesting because it has big pipes; the public Internet
has much bigger pipes and more of them.  I/2 is interesting only because it
has fewer users -- by two or three orders of magnitude -- and most/all of
these users are connected by FastE or better.

However, there is no need to waste funding buying uber-fast routers or GigE
links around the globe just to learn how to tune stacks or apps.  If
high-speed TCP research is what you're doing, rig up a latency generator in
your laboratory and do your tests that way, just like the TCPSAT folks.
Spending millions of (probably taxpayer) dollars to win a meaningless record
is unethical, IMHO.