Re: Building Cited for Housing Fuel Tanks Catches Fire [NYT]

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Sat Mar 08 12:56:39 2003

Thus spake "Randy Bush" <[email protected]>
> > An electrical fire broke out in the basement of an office tower
> > in TriBeCa yesterday, four months after building inspectors said
> > they had discovered illegal diesel fuel tanks installed on the
> > upper floors of the tower.
>
> basement.  roof.  what is it i am not getting here?  osama bin
> elevator?  the ratcheting (rat sh<bleep>ing?) up of the american
> press hysteria?

That's the irony -- if the fuel had been stored in the basement as required,
it might have become involved in the otherwise-unrelated electrical fire.

Four months isn't much time to comply with the code; I doubt the building
owner could have even gotten the permits to start work in that time, much
less finish construction, testing, and moving the fuel.  Sure, it should
have been done right in the first place, but it's too late to argue that.