Re: 923 Mbps across the Ocean ...

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Sat Mar 08 01:20:11 2003

AD> Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 00:51:51 -0500 (EST)
AD> From: Andrew Dorsett

AD> On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:
AD>
AD> > On the other hand, if you have the need for this kind of
AD> > single stream performance, and the pipe to yourself, why
AD> > not devise your own protocol with less overhead?
AD>
AD> Because then you'll violate the rules of the contest. :)
AD>
AD> http://lsr.internet2.edu

Hmmmm.  Looks like someone could use _really_ big buffers and
insane SACK.  Knowing the pipe isn't being shared with other
traffic, one can "tune" backoff and slow-start without worry
about being cooperative...

Yeah, it's still TCP.  A sprint car with 250 deg @ 0.050" lift
camshaft, 5.13:1 rear gears, and different left/right tire sizes
is still a car.  Both are about as useful in the real world.

IOW, it's fun, but the focus is too narrow and certain parameters
are totally incompatible with production requirements.

I'd like to see a contest that attempts to maximize throughput
_and_ simultaneous session count using a random mix of simulated
client pipe sizes.

Eddy
--
Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence and [inter]national