Re: UK ISPs not cooperating with law enforcement

  • From: Steven M. Bellovin
  • Date: Fri Mar 07 20:50:23 2003

In message <[email protected]>, "Mark Borchers"
 writes:

>> It difficult to tell from the article whether UK ISPs are refusing to
>> cooperate with lawful requests from UK police, or if UK police are
>> trying to get ISPs to give information without proper authorization.
>>
>> http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=119873
>
>It's difficult to argue with the premise that "it was in the interests of
>ISPs to co-operate in investigations against hackers and virus writers".
>
>I can recall posts to this list bemoaning the fact that the FBI was slow
>or unwilling to launch cybercrime investigations not tied espionage,
>terrorism, or other good, old-fashioned crime.

I haven't checked the law since the Patriot Act was passed.  Prior to
that, however, in the U.S. the law *prohibited* communications carriers
from giving certain information to the government without a warrant --
but they were free to give it or sell it to anyone else.
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/2703.html see (c)(1)(A)