Re: Abstract of proposed Internet Draft for Best Current Practice (please comment)

  • From: Dr. Jeffrey Race
  • Date: Fri Mar 07 10:30:57 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 14:05:31 -0000, Peter Galbavy wrote:
>quote:
>> Well-managed, ethical members of the internet industry already conduct
>> their businesses, successfully and profitably, according to the
>> principles specified in the Practice. The proposed Practice simply
>> aims to raise the entire industry to the level of today's best
>> players.
>
>I object to this wording; even without reading *any* other part of your
>document, I am already very cautious about it's contents simply because
of
>the implication of your statement above. This is very much one of those
>political "you're either with us or against us" declarations.
>
>So - if you don't so it 'our way' then you must be unethical and
>badly-managed. At least

Peter I don't blame you in the slightest for being cautious.  However
please look at the proposal and respond to its substance.

In fact I include the above text, almost boilerplate now, because in
earlier versions of the proposal floated on the lists of the various
RIRs, I was scolded for offering a dreamlike proposal.  I therefore now
routinely state (the truth) that many firms, financially successful,
operate exactly as I recommend.  This is the potent counterexample to
the oftheard complaint "We couldn't make any money if we had to
crack down on abuse effectively".   It's completely false, even
though you often hear it.

See <http://www.camblab.com/nugget/spam_03.pdf> for hard data.

There seems to be some logical fallacy in your plaint.

  Ethical firm - successful, suppresses spam

    does not entail

  Does not suppress spam - unethical firm.

There may be other reasons.

Jeffrey Race