Re: Why replicate the DNS?

  • From: Eric A. Hall
  • Date: Thu Mar 06 09:08:45 2003

on 3/5/2003 8:58 PM Joe Abley wrote:

> I think Bill's point was that if a distributed database is required to
> contain routing policy, why not use existing distributed database
> infrastructure to host it (i.e. the DNS).

> I think it is fair to say that the delegation chain in the DNS is
> demonstrably more effective in allowing authoritative records to be
> located than the ad-hoc partial-mesh of mirroring and key replication
> currently found in the IRR.

Delegation is different from content.

Using DNS for delegation information makes a lot of sense, but trying to
use it for complex content is just a bad idea. DNS is great for
lightweight fast lookups of public-access data, but its not well suited to
complex query structures, authenticated access, or multi-dimensional,
time-sensitive data.

As an analogy, everybody agrees that DNS should (must) be used for tasks
like ~find the mail server, but nobody should seriously argue that we
should use DNS to hold ~RFC822/MIME messages and entities.