Using HINFO (was Re: spamcop.net?)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Mar 05 04:16:15 2003

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Lou Katz wrote:
> your network and operation. Using these lists is a policy question for
> the network, and I would not like some external, probably unaccountable
> single point of policy.

For most purposes, network addresses are involuntarily put on various
"blacklists."  So it makes since to design them as a third-party
architecture.  And to avoid the problems of centralized control (or
censorship), spread those lists out among many different organizations.

However, there is one purpose these lists are used where it may be
better to "go to the source."  Difusing the identification of dialup
addresses, and in today's network other types of dynamic connections,
causes problems with out of date, or mistaken information.  Some of
the DNSBL get the dialup information from service providers, but unless
the provider plays favorites with DNSBL providers, its hard to keep
them all up to date.  But when problems happen, the DNSBL goes out
of business, accidently lists the wrong addresses, etc; its out of
the service provider's control.

Because dialup identification is generally not "punitive," I think it
makes sense to give providers a mechanism to self-identify dynamic
network addresses without otherwise effecting whatever naming scheme
they want to use for their network, and without depending on
third-parties.  Fighting a two-front religious battle isn't necessary.

My proposal would be something along the lines of allowing providers
to use the HINFO field on dynamic network addresses.  Since its a
dynamic address, HINFO probaly doesn't have real hardware/operating
system information.  So why not register a well-known value with
IANA for dynamic hosts, e.g. HINFO "DYNAMIC DIALUP".  Service providers
can set, maintain, update, etc their own DNS files as quickly as
they get address space and start using it.  If the service provider
re-purposes the address space, they can change or delete the HINFO
field without the trouble of coordinating changes with multiple
third-parties.

Remote hosts which want to deny service to dynamic hosts, such as
not allowing SMTP connections, would retrieve the HINFO field along
with the other information they get doing DNS lookups.  If the value
is HINFO "DYNAMIC WIRELESS" they implement whatever policy they want for
those connections.  The service provider is only giving technical
facts about the access method, no personal information, no judgement
about the customer using the connection.

It does no good for a service provider to lie.  If they lie, the other
blacklists will pick them up soon enough.  If the service provider is
lazy, again the other blacklists will pick them up.  Generally the
DNS record for dialup or dynamic networks is under the control of
the service provider, not the customer.  But even if the service provider
let customers use dynamic update to change the DNS information, any
other value for HINFO or no HINFO would be treated as unknown.