Re: BGP to doom us all

  • From: Stephane Bortzmeyer
  • Date: Mon Mar 03 07:21:25 2003

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 11:53:51AM +0000,
 [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote
 a message of 55 lines which said:

> Yes there are other ways and I suggest that the optimal choice of protocol
> for publishing this information is LDAP, not DNS.
> Next step is to get ISPs to replace their creaking antiquated rwhois
> servers with LDAP servers.

Technically, this is reasonable, and I suggest that everybody who
shares this view do some actual work in the IETF working group which
is precisely devoted to the subject : Crisp
<URL:http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/crisp-charter.html>. LDAP is
one of the two actual proposals discussed at Crisp, the new IRIS
protocol being the other.

Do note that Crisp explicitely works also on address registries, not
just domain registries.

> I am suggesting that the starting point here is to get ARIN to set up an
> LDAP server to authoritatively identify the leaseholder for all IP address
> space.

I suggested the same to the RIPE-NCC some time ago. No real
interest. I believe that the RIRs have enough work :-} They do not
seem to participate in Crisp either :-(