RE: DNS records for routers

  • From: Cutler, James R
  • Date: Mon Mar 03 06:21:27 2003

Pete,

<passion>Since I do NOT believe in "Security through Obscurity" as
effective</passion>, I name every address and publish both A and PTR views
of this relationship.  This applies to all network-addressable entities.
CNAME records may be added to taste.

Naming should facilitate maintenance of good network operation.  So, it
depends on how you like to operate.  In addition, most automated IP
management systems provide both A and PTR entries without extra work, so it
becomes a question of "Why not?" for the A records.  Round-robin does not
seem (to me) to provide any particular business value.

-
James R. Cutler,  EDS
800 Tower Drive, Troy, MI 48098
1 248 265 7514