Re: BGP to doom us all

  • From: Avi Freedman
  • Date: Sun Mar 02 06:15:09 2003

In article <[email protected]> The Great Sean wrote:

: I'll be stupid, and ask some questions I've always wondered about.

: Why should routes learned by eBGP have a higher priority than iBGP?

Love to know myself.  Took me a few years to figure out why the strange
iBGP redistribution rules (because barring something like confeds or
RRs, there's no loop detection method in iBGP w/o it...)

: Why should BGP implementations flap all good routes when they see a single
: bad route packet?

Sorry if this isn't adding enough signal, but Amen!  However, there's
some disagreement historically about this.  I am in the camp who thinks
the danger is higher from being able to trigger massive #s of session
drops cyclically, but some argue that it's worse to continue talking
to someone who may be spewing badness that you only see as syntax error,
but some packets may have OK syntax and bad contents.

This may be doomed to the neverending debate category, but I feel fairly
strongly that I'd at least like a knob that makes NOTIFY not kill
sessions (but you'd probably need to twist it it at both ends of the
session).

: Why don't SWIP forms include Origin-AS?

Ahem.  Origin-AS(s) - plural.  Agreed - mildly.  Of course, SWIP isn't
updated when delegation info changes, so origin AS(s) would get just as
stale as contact info.

Avi