Re: BGP to doom us all

  • From: Andy Dills
  • Date: Sun Mar 02 02:24:54 2003

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Sean Donelan wrote:

> Why should routes learned by eBGP have a higher priority than iBGP?

In general, isn't it better that they pay to carry the traffic across
the world on their network, rather than you?

> Why don't SWIP forms include Origin-AS?

Good question...but is it too late? Would seem like a more-worthy effort
than forcing security into bgp...at least in the interim. If nothing else,
it would seem like the route dbs solved a problem that should never have
existed in the first place. Why isn't that totally integrated with network
assignment? Why have multiple authorities? To me, the lack of true
authority makes the radb and friends advisory bodies at best. What we
really need is an authoritative body. Somebody who can say, without a
doubt (and without having to pay an additional maintenance fee or maintain
multiple objects with multiple routing arbiters), who should be allowed to
announce which prefix.

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access