DNS records for routers

  • From: Pete Kruckenberg
  • Date: Sat Mar 01 14:07:01 2003

Any passionate opinions about DNS record conventions for
routers? Or recommendations?

I'm not particularly concerned about device naming
conventions (we have that down), I'm more interested in what
makes sense for public-viewable DNS names (so I can put
those beautiful fully-compliant names where people can see
them).

Some traces show individual interface names, some just show
device names. Any particular reason to go one way or the
other for PTR records (doing a single device name for every
interface seems easier and less-likely to screw up to me)?

What about A records? A matching one per PTR, or just one A
per device? Or no A records in the public DNS? Would
round-robin A records (an A record for every interface
address, all using the same device name) break anything
(like performance measurement tools or network management
tools)?

Thanks.
Pete.