Re: Who uses RADB? [was BGP to doom us all]

  • From: Mark Radabaugh
  • Date: Sat Mar 01 12:23:59 2003

> It doesnt cost a million dollars to have access to a RR, its somewhat
less! You
> pay for your domains you pay for your IPs you pay for your ASN you pay for
your
> SSL, so why be shocked you pay a little for this too? And if everyone
filters
> your prefixes that will be operational value enough to join!

Correct.  We pay for lots and lots of things - and there are about 30 other
things I need NOW that cost $500.

> You've been reading this thread right? Those were the reasons and they
were
> pretty good, if you dont you may get filtered eventually or have your
routes
> hijacked.

Eventually is not now - and given that you have a horrendous chicken and egg
problem I don't see it happening anytime in even the remote future.

I'll grant you that it would be nice to have it so that my routes can't be
hijacked - but we are back to the same chicken and egg problem.  I'm
contributing to one end of it - but I'm not the hard one to convince here.
It's the many thousands of others who don't read NANOG.

> Well you cant arbitrarily register routes to them, you have to be a
member, and
> have to match the authorisation criteria. I use RIPE and you have to be
> authorised on both the ASN and the INETNUM objects to register the route
for it.

True enough.  And to get my BGP peers to accept my routes I have to do the
exact same thing by communicating with them - not just changing entries in
the RADB.  If I want to launch a malicious attack both methods leave
trails - but I'm willing to bet that it's a lot more likely that a person
reviewing my request at a BGP peer will catch me before an automated system.

Even if you compromise my routers it still doesn't allow you to announce
anything interesting from me - you still have to convince my upstream
providers to accept the announcements based on the current system of
manually entered prefixes.

We have had our routes registered in RADB in the past but despite the theory
that it is laziness we dropped it due to expense and lack of relevence.
I'll probably register our routes again but until RADB becomes a requirement
of the RIR's or someone with authority I rather suspect this is a dead end.

> Steve

Mark