Re: anti-spam vs network abuse

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Sat Mar 01 01:09:51 2003

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Andy Dills wrote:

> Actually, I think the debate starts with Paul telling Jon that Jon isn't
> passively scanning connection hosts, he's actively trawling for open
> proxies, that Paul has the logs to prove it, and that since Paul is in
> California, Jon has broken the law.

He was using considerable artistic license with the numbers when he said
every IP on every net he owns had been checked by NJABL.  The reality is
more like 0.06% of the IPs on 3 networks he owns or manages were checked
over the span of about 7 months.  At that rate (if my math is correct), it
would take almost 1000 years to scan all the IPs on those networks.
Hopefully, someone will have solved this spam problem by then.

> You don't have to. This is why I never understood why people care so much
> about probing. If you do a good job with your network, probing will have
> zero affect on you. All the person probing can do (regardless of their
> intent) is say "Gee, I guess there aren't any vulnerabilities with this
> network."

When I hooked up my first server on the internet back in 1993, I was kind
of shocked that some far away stranger was trying to log into my POP3
server.  Unwanted connections have been a fact of life on the internet
probably since its beginning.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |