Re: BGP to doom us all

  • From: Steven M. Bellovin
  • Date: Fri Feb 28 20:21:52 2003

In message <[email protected]>, Bruce Pinsky writes:

>Jim Deleskie wrote:
>>
>> http://news.com.com/2100-1009-990608.html?tag=fd_lede1_hed
>>
>> Seems the BGP will be the down fall of the internet, the sky is falling the
>> sky is falling
>

>What a crock of crap.  Knowing who someone is doesn't stop them from causing
>intentional or unintentional problems.  In fact, authentication is more likely

The problem that sBGP is trying to solve is *authorization*, not
identification.  Briefly -- and please read the papers and the specs
before flaming -- every originating AS would have a certificate chain
rooted at their local RIR stating that they own a certain address
block.  If an ISP SWIPs a block to some customer, that ISP (which owns
a certificate from the RIR for the parent block) would sign a
certificate granting the subblock to the customer.  The customer could
then announce it via sBGP.

The other part sBGP is that it provides a chain of signatures of the
entire ASpath back to the originator.

Now -- there are clearly lots of issues here, including the fact that
the the authoritative address ownership data for old allocations is,
shall we say, a bit dubious.  And the code itself is expensive to run,
since it involves a lot of digital signatures and verifications,
especially when things are thrashing because of a major backhoe hit.

But -- given things like the AS7007 incident, and given the possibility
-- probability? -- that it can happen again, can we afford to not do
sBGP?  My own opinion is that sophisticated routing attacks are the
single biggest threat to the Internet.