Re: anti-spam vs network abuse

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Fri Feb 28 18:51:42 2003

> Why is probing networks wrong?

i guess it's a last ditch scaling thing.  i won't complain to an isp when
their customer probes my host as a result of me sending them e-mail -- but
i will drop in a local blackhole route so that i won't get any more traffic
from or to the prober's network.  (if the isp thinks this is too draconian
they are welcome to contact me, which is how jon and i wound up talking a
couple of months ago.)

on the other hand if they probe my network looking for relays to see whether
any of those relays are open, then i will complain to their isp.  there's an
active prober in asia right now who actually *is* an ISP, though, and so,
there's really no basis for discussion.
--
Paul Vixie