Re: anti-spam vs network abuse

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Fri Feb 28 16:10:08 2003

> Why is probing networks wrong?
>
> I would agree exploiting vulnerabilities discovered from probing networks
> is wrong. But I don't agree that probing is inherently wrong.
>
> People probe networks for great reasons. Likewise, people have the ability
> to prevent other people from probing their networks.
>
> Should we outlaw a potentially beneficial practice due to its abuse by
> criminals?

Okay. What happens if you make a mistake and overload one of my devices
costing my company money. I guarantee you, the law will look favorably on
damages. That is the problem with probing. Sometimes the probe itself can be
the damage. Programmers are human. Humans make mistakes. Programmers are
perfect.

-Jack