Re: ebgp-multihop

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Thu Feb 27 18:49:00 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Tim Rand wrote:

> I have searched the archives but have not found an answer to my question - is there any danger in using excessively high TTL values with ebgp-multihop?    For example, neighbor x.x.x.x ebgp-multihop 255   -  255 is generally much higher than needed, but is there any risk/danger ??    Thanks in advance.   - Tim

If you use this for a regular BGP feed (one where you actually send
traffic as per the routes received) you can get interesting results if
your direct connection to the peer goes down. Your BGP session will
probably survive this and simply continue to run over any other
connection(s) to the net you have. You can of course make sure this
doesn't happen by creative application of static routes with different
administrative distances (or even a filter).