Re: Cidera shuts down

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Thu Feb 27 02:09:00 2003

At 05:58 PM 26-02-03 -0800, Dan Hollis wrote:

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Jeffrey Wheat wrote:
> I am now in need of obtaining a new source for news that is satellite based. Can anyone offer any suggestions
> and or recommendations? All information is appreciated!

satellite usenet does not appear to be very profitable...
Tis a shame. Satellite data broadcast of common content is an economical way to share common data. AS378 was getting 20Mb/sec of prefetched web content and Usenet news for all of $800/month before Cidera/Skycache shut down its service in Europe a year ago.

-Hank

http://www.cidera.com/services/usenet_news/ - discontinued
http://www.planetc.com/satellite/ - discontinued
http://www.isp-sat.com/ - discontinued?

I could only find one company still advertising satellite newsfeed service:
http://www.skyserv.com/

-Dan
--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]