Re: Network monitoring/IDS rant - What's hot what's not?

  • From: Christopher McCrory
  • Date: Wed Feb 26 11:28:14 2003

Hello...

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 21:12, Christopher J. Wolff wrote:
> Tivoli, Openview, Unicenter, ipmonitor, mrtg, nagios?
>
> There are many network monitoring options but each option has its
> pitfalls.  I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that any software
> Computer Associates publishes is designed for the criminally insane.
> However, there 'has' to be something that offers more visibility into a
> major WAN than MRTG/RRDTOOL.

Intermapper  http://www.intermapper.com

You can create charts showing realtime bandwith usage on each of your
routers.  I also use it to check bandwidth on my web servers.  With a
glance, you can tell everything is "OK", "abnormal", etc.

No IDS, but it is great as a enhancement/replacement for
mrtg/rrdtool/nagios.  ( I run all three)

<disclaimer>
No affiliation w/ intermapper
just a happy customer for ~6 years

<snip>