Re: Network monitoring/IDS rant - What's hot what's not?

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Wed Feb 26 07:50:51 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Christopher J. Wolff wrote:

> Tivoli, Openview, Unicenter, ipmonitor, mrtg, nagios?
>
> There are many network monitoring options but each option has its
> pitfalls.  I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that any software
> Computer Associates publishes is designed for the criminally insane.
> However, there 'has' to be something that offers more visibility into a
> major WAN than MRTG/RRDTOOL.

CA-Unicenter/OVW/Tivoli are not IDS systems... (traditionally) but they
can normally monitor the heck out of 'decent' sized networks (less than
500 components was my last experience with OVW atleast, tivoli and CA we
never got working correctly with less than 1 metric butt ton of LOE to
keep it running)

> Perhaps I'm on a Computer Associates rant today but can anyone share any
> positive experiences with E-trust intrusion detection?  5 MB of traffic
> flow paralyzes a dual P3 with gobs of ram and it still misses signatures
> that Snort does not miss.  Originally I was going to blame this lousy

So, lemme understand here... Snort works and you are switching why??