Re: 69.0.0.0/8 - Please update your filters

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Tue Feb 25 21:08:38 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> Thus spake "E.B. Dreger" <[email protected]>
> > I _still_ like the idea of putting DNS roots in new IP blocks
> > during sunrise and having the final octet be .0 and/or .255.  It
> > would be nice to catch dated bogon filters, lame attempts at
> > smurf stopping, _and_ stale root.cache in one blow.
>
>  From an academic standpoint, that would be a very interesting experiment.
> However, most of us are paid to keep our networks or services running, not
> to intentionally break them.

The trouble is, some people are neglecting their jobs and making things
rough for others (the people getting new allocations).

Somebody with one of these new cursed allocations ought to setup a system
with two IPs (one from the new block, one from an older established block)
and do reachability tests to various parts of the net, and then automate
sending a notice of bogus filters to those ASNs reachable from the old IP,
but not from the new one.

If I end up with some of this space, I'll be doing this.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |