Re: M$SQL cleanup incentives

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Thu Feb 20 16:13:27 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> Worse, it only takes 1 infected host to re-infect the entire net in
> about 10 minutes.  So, the entire 'net has to cooperate, or we'll see
> continual re-infection.

Only if people didn't fix their servers. And if they didn't, this
"reverse" denial of service attack is a good reminder.

> Unfortunately, this is a cost that prevents pain to others, rather
> than self-inflicted pain.  Another pollution of the commons issue.

Seems to me that filtering is no longer necessary unless you have reason
to believe your customers are going to install new vulnerable boxes or
vulnerable software on existing boxes AND their pipe to you is so big
the excess traffic is going to hurt you more than them.