Re: Locating rogue APs

  • From: Matthew S. Hallacy
  • Date: Tue Feb 11 14:43:15 2003

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 11:27:28AM -0600, John Kristoff wrote:

> Apologies if this ends up on the list multiple times.  I seem to
> have trouble getting this posted in a timely fashion.
>
> In general, MAC OUI designations may indicate a particular AP.  IP
> multicast group participation may also be used by some APs. Some
> APs have a few unique ports open.  Lastly, APs may be found with
> a radio on a particular default channel.  All of these potentially
> identifying characteristics may be used to help audit the network
> for rogue IPs.  Below is information on locating particular APs:

Why are you posting this here? The information is somewhat incomplete/incorrect
as well. Persons interested in finding rogue AP's would be much better
off with a tool such as kismet that already identifies model/make of
access points based on various datapoints (including the types you posted),
as well as the ability to determine in where the AP is (pysically) with
the use of a GPS unit.

As a side benefit, it can make pretty maps.

http://www.poptix.net/thehills.jpg