VOIP on the net from your PDA?

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Tue Feb 11 06:51:40 2003

If any of you have the Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 (or the C700 -- hi Avi!), have
you tried doing VOIP over Wi-Fi and the net using tkcPhone
http://www.thekompany.com/embedded/tkcphone/ or any other VOIP software?
What kind of quality do you get with this?

If this type of PDA phone application really does work as well as Bill's
comments would indicate, then I think it will drive a lot of voice traffic
onto the Internet. We really need to play around with this stuff (voice)
ourselves and understand it better because there are opportunities here
with all the turmoil surrounding the so-called shift to 3G cellular.

Here in England, BT recently ran some TV commercials to introduce free
evening and weekend calling on the cell network by showing a couple using
a cellphone upstairs in the baby's room to replace the broken baby monitor
by dialling into the home phone in the livingroom. This is just one
example of how changing the pricing structure could radically change
people's behavior in using a service.

-- Michael Dillon