RE: VoIP QOS best practices

  • From: chaim fried
  • Date: Mon Feb 10 16:16:28 2003

Good point. Later version from the larger video-conferencing Gateway
manufacturers, seem to do a better job (better- not perfect) handling
reordering. So clearly there seems to have been issues with the
applications buffering itself. Out of order packets are considered lost,
so whatever you would put your tolerance threshold for loss will
determine your tolerance for ou of sequence? I would measure in terms of
.0x% for my customers, who expect "toll-quality" video.

Based on the traces we've examined, most of the time it's not that the
latency is too much to be rectified with proper buffering. However,
again we don't want anybody reordering our packets.