Re: VoIP QOS best practices

  • From: Aditya
  • Date: Mon Feb 10 14:36:54 2003

> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:27:39 -0800 (PST), Bill Woodcock <[email protected]> said:
> Look, just do it, and you'll see that there aren't any problems in
> this area.

For those looking to "just do it", it's not very complicated or
expensive to try -- and the quality is very, very good esp. if you
have broadband. For an easy, step-by-step way to try it out over the
public, non-QoS Internet, look at the steps at:

  http://www.pulver.com/fwd

(yes, there are other free, public SIP servers, but I haven't found
any with as much useful "documentation" and I'm not associated with
pulver.com except for being an enthusiastic FWD user)

FWIW, I purchased a Cisco ATA-186 and then a 7960 on eBay (after
trying out MS Messenger and finding it lacking) and they just work. I
also have used the same units to get a PSTN phone number routed over
IP using www.iconnecthere.com -- and you can make it work behind NAT
too (but I can assure you it's easier without NAT).

I'm willing to play tech support via email if anyone has questions
about getting started.

Adi