Re:

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Wed Feb 05 14:34:58 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 12:51:39PM -0600, Jack Bates wrote:

> > Does anyone on the list know of any ISPs that bill based on average
> > utilization, rather than some variation of 95th percentile?
>
> We look at an mrtg graph and pick a nice spot on the graph that looks like
> it is pushing enough bandwidth. We call this the "eye-ball averaging"
> method. No complaints to date.

I prefer to pick a random number, then consult my Magic 8-Ball with the
question "Is this customer paying enough money?". If the answer is no, I
raise their bill by 10Mbit and try again.

Sometimes the billing department gets a little backed up when the results
are hazy, but other than that it's a great system.