Re: Remote email access

  • From: John R Levine
  • Date: Tue Feb 04 15:58:42 2003
  • Cleverness: None detected

> It appears that the policy of blocking outbound port 25 has been adopted
> much more broadly.  It is not just folks running dial-in services.  At a
> minimum, anyone with "visitors" -- no matter how they connect -- is a
> candidate for embracing the blocking philosophy.

I can believe it.  If I were running a company network, I can imagine lots
of scenarios where it would be reasonable to force all outgoing mail
through the designated servers where it could be inspected, logged, and so
forth.

Regards,
John Levine, [email protected], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
"A book is a sneeze." - E.B. White, on the writing of Charlotte's Web

PS: Even on networks where port 25 works fine, I often find that it's
easier to use the web mail front end I stuck on my POP/IMAP server than to
get my laptop connected.  Most ISPs now provide web mail for their roaming
users, and I think that's what people will end up using.  On my system,
you can have web mail and IMAP sessions running at the same time without
the server getting confused.