Re: Remote email access

  • From: Dave Crocker
  • Date: Tue Feb 04 14:16:50 2003

Al,

Tuesday, February 4, 2003, 10:20:50 AM, you wrote:

AR> Don't even need that. I can telnet into the appropriate server/port

1.  as you note, that is a solution that does not scale to millions of non-technical
users.

2.  many people need access from their laptops (ie, their "office),
rather than having all their mail accessible over the Internet, only
accessible when online.

AR> Open<->Secure, choose your business plan carefully. Good Luck.

The issue is not about losing "openness" but about losing
interoperability.  There is no technical reason high quality
interoperability prevents high quality security, or at least acceptable
authentication (accountability).

d/
--
 Dave <mailto:[email protected]>