Re: Internet Monitoring Center

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Fri Jan 31 14:29:24 2003

From: "Sean Donelan"

<snip>
> On the other hand, security is a much bigger "win" for a larger provider
> than for a small provider.  As Willie Sutton use to say, he robbed banks
> because that's were the money was.  Larger providers have more exposure,
> and more to loose. Even a non-directed attack such as a worm tends to
> impact larger providers more than smaller providers. The larger provider
> has more incentive to work on security. For a small provider, security is
> just another expense they would prefer not to spend.

<snip>

I completely agree. Yet large providers have peer coordinators and many lack
security coordinators or liaisons. Perhaps it's just the provider I reported
the incident to, and I may find better luck with my new providers. To be
honest, I don't think my old provider would have done much of anything
except that it was a large enough DDOS to force him to backup the access
lists to the core. I love it when the provider's equipment starts shutting
down and their fiber fills up. It reminds me that I'm not always brought to
my knees because of my size.

-Jack